Wednesday, August 26, 2026

 

           I last updated this a little over a week after the flash flood took away a couple of our walls, the car, the delivery van and the entire mushroom project, among other things (like some trees, used tires, trash cans, a shipping container, etc.). Hope for Life members who were at Bethany House during those days, either with crutches or in wheelchairs, focused their next days on thoroughly scrubbing out the house. Those of us who were more mobile focused on the outside - - separating the wreckage that washed up against the delivery van into zinc, wood and bamboo piles, shovelling up the mud and sand to make moving around outside safer and easier, clearing away rubble and shovelling up the muck that now filled open gutters outside the house. In addition to helping with the outside clean-up, the bakery workers thoroughly cleaned out the flooded and mudded bakery and assessed damage to the machines.

Chea digging final sludge out of first half of gutter

As this was going on, I also needed to find mechanics who could come to the house to check out the car and the delivery van. We needed a carpenter and mason to plan re-construction of the mushroom grow house and the walls. We needed to deal with the shipping container and the neighbor who lives next to the large gutter that the container is now hanging over. Justifiably, he was worried - - if another flood came, the container could go into the gutter and would then block it up, potentially damaging his property. Meanwhile, he sat outside every day, watching us and questioning our delay in finding a solution for the container. Then, the first day that we were not using our newly purchased wheelbarrow or shovels, he came by asking to borrow them…harumph.

the troublesomely re-located shipping container

          I’ve been surprised and disappointed that no one in the area came by to offer help. I am used to communities pulling together in disasters. However, friends from further away came to help as they could. A week after the flood, a Ghanaian friend called to ask if we had been affected, and when she heard the details, she came that same day to give a hand. In addition to helping in the house, she took the muddy curtains and bedsheets home to wash in her washing machine. Our Liberian friends, who had a 3-hour, one-way trip in public transport to get to our house, came a couple of different times - - once even with food. Another friend who had been coming regularly to maintain the outside once per week in exchange for help with vocational training fees came and stayed 4 nights per week for 3 weeks, earning an award for being the hardest worker in the house.

a long line of our rubble now partially filling the gutted road (a bad panoramic shot, however, the line should be straight)

          While most of July was filled with non-stop physical work for us, my mind was simultaneously planning the steps to be taken further down the road. And then the emergency physical work died down for me by the third or fourth week. It became less urgent and less necessary for all of us to be involved. It will be ongoing for some time, just no longer a crisis. Those steps I had been planning in my mind came into play and I needed to spend more time organizing, being around for and following up with masons, carpenters, mechanics, the welder, etc. I needed to spend time trying to raise funds…

another view of the rubble hauled from inside our compound to fill in the road          ...fading off into the distance

Without the constant physical, emergency occupations, I became restless and tired of everything and everyone while waiting for the tradespeople to show up and do their work. I felt depressed, with little else I could do but wait. I was probably just burnt out…having felt alone in dealing with it all – trying to figure out where we would get the money from, how I could find a more serious carpenter, where and how could I find someone to get the container away from the gutter, waiting for the next issue to come up with the car or delivery van, etc.

a version of a regular view of the car

Almost daily there have been problems with the water-damaged vehicles. When the mechanic finishes with one problem, the following day there is another (uggggh water damage). The delivery van seemed OK more quickly than the car – just a change of filters and oil (supposedly). But, three weeks ago its rear tire seized up. Fortunately, the car had just been brought back (again) from the mechanic the previous day and had survived its test run. For the past 3 weeks, it has been the bakery’s delivery vehicle. It runs (most of the time), despite still having issues yet to be determined: maybe the hubs? maybe another electrical issue? maybe something more because the check engine light appears regularly? and what about that new oil leak…?! No matter what, I’m sure it is a combination of things. It has been struggling with the ongoing delivery needs and has been back to the mechanic a few times. Meanwhile, the delivery van is still at the garage 3 weeks later, waiting for a rear axle to exit the port and be installed. 

seized up back tire, axle issue, drive shaft issue...becoming a one-month issue...

Meanwhile, the grow house has made some progress. The structure is going up, and we expect to start building the shelves soon. Some of the bamboo from the previous shelves washed up against the delivery van and was salvaged and will be re-used. I am hopeful that substrate can be purchased again in a week.

first step of rebuilding the grow house - - fixing the base of its wall and floor

 

 




          My colleagues have had no success in solving the shipping container issue. After organizing the other stuff, I called a contact I have to see if they can help solve the problem - - but, so far, no luck. We need to find a solution soon, though - - I just am at a loss.

At the same time, I am extremely thankful that the school took it upon themselves to rebuild the wall that fell not just between us and them but on the other side of the compound, as well.

the roadside wall...finishing touches remain

I started feeling better mentally after a week or so of the doldrums. I have done some visits to Hope for Life members, which helps, as well as attended a couple of Hope for Life branch meetings. The team from the Liberian camp and I have been able to resume the outreach clinic for kids with disabilities once per week, thanks to a vehicle from some friends who have left the country.

Ruth deciding I should wear someone's winter hat while working with little Renfell
 


Ruth now supervising 
 

Ruth

And how can someone not feel better after working with these sweethearts.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home